How to Order from Amazon Japan
date_range January 28, 2015
For many otaku overseas, it is sometimes hard to come across good deals on many of the amazing things we wish to buy of our favorite series'. Well... did you know that for some items, you are able to order from Amazon Japan and have them shipped directly to you for amazingly low shipping costs? It's true! No proxy service needed!
In this short guide, I will walk you through the steps on registering an account on Amazon Japan, placing an order, and having it shipped to you.
- First things first, head over to Amazon JP by clicking here: Amazon JP - In English. If it does not display in english, there should be a link in the top that says "In English". Click that.
- Next, you are going to want to hover over the "Your Account" menu on the top right, you should see a link that says "New Customer? Start Here". Click 'Start Here'.
Now you should be on the registration page, simply fill that part out with your information (for the pronunciation section, you may have to type your name in Japanese phonetics. You can easily find the phonetics for your name by throwing it into Google Translate. It'll have the Japanese version and below it in english, the phonetic spelling.) and click "Create Account".
You will now be on the homepage, it's now time to setup your details further. Hover over the "Your Account" menu in the top right again, but now select "Your Account".
- You will now be on your account overview page. Let's setup your address first. Toward the bottom you will see "Personal Information". Under that, click the link for "Manage Your Address Book".
- Now you are in your Address Book. Click on the "Add International Address" button.
- You can now fill out your information on the left, once finished, click on the "Save & Add Payment Method" button.
- On this page, select the button for "Provide new payment method information". This will open a new area to fill out details for your credit card.
- Fill out your credit card information. Once finished, below either enter your billing address or select the one you created previously.
You are now ready to start shopping on Amazon Japan! Search for a product. Keep in mind you make have to search for it using the Japanese name. If you don't know how to type Japanese characters, then utilize Google Translate.
When you find the product you wish to purchase, click on the "Add to Shopping Cart" button on the right. Once you have all the items you wish to purchase, head over to the checkout.
- Keep in mind not EVERY product on Amazon JP is capable of being shipped directly to you without a proxy. If you see the following error, it means some products in your cart cannot be shipped internationally. If this is the case, I highly recommend utilizing a service like Tenso, to be able to ship products to their warehouse and have them forwarded to you.